What a god damn game. And that had nothing to do with the fact that I may or may not (definitely did) have some units on the game. The game started off pretty wonky with a Frat Stafford interception returned for a touchdown that had every Stafford hater harder than a diamond in an ice storm. Wasn’t the best start for the highest paid player in the National Football League but was it anything that we as Lions fans weren’t used to? There was something different about this game though. The defense came to play and really played inspired football even though it seemed like they kept being put in terrible situation time and time again. And don’t even get me started on the abortion that was our special teams. (Not talking to you Prater, you deserve all the rum and cokes your dad bod can handle). Not being able to field a long snap for an extra point is disgusting and not being able to simply punt a ball when that is literally the only thing you need to do while Sam Martin is hurt makes my skin boil but I digress.
While a win is a win, I feel like there are a ton of things that can be taken away from a game like this.
- Don’t give us points Vegas WHEN WE ARE AT HOME? +2 at the Den is downright disrespectful and I honestly don’t even feel right cashing the ticket. (But please do it as much as you want, me winning every time won’t break your bank)
- Jarrad Davis is the real deal. The rookie held his own in his first career start at linebacker and seemed to be in every single play. It is nice to finally have a little bit of stability at the linebacker position since the coveted Ernie Sims days so I am excited to see this core get more and more experience with each other. And don’t even get me started about his choice to go raw paw and not wear any gloves on those hands. Looks like a god damn Orc in middle earth and I for one am here for it.
- Is Kenny Golladay better than Calvin Johnson? My Column: Probably not but it is awesome to have some height again at WR because frankly as good as Marvin Jones and Golden Tate are, you need someone who you can just throw a ball up to and make a play. Also, everyone needs a little #MACtion in their life. The Northern Illinois Husky has been impressing all preseason as someone the lions can lean on and holy fuck did he ever show up. He had one for two drops early that could be blamed on nerves but he showed up big when we needed him most. I will take 2 TDs in a debut every single day and twice on Sunday.
- Matt Prater is the second coming of that weird looking fuck Jason Hanson (No offense ). 58 yarder? Dude is automatic. Liquor running through his veins. Not having stable kicking is something that can be an Achilles heel for a good team so it is nice to not have to worry about number fifth. Whoops, I meant 5.
- Our defense can get us out of some pretty precarious situations. Sometimes for better or worse, Stafford can get us into some with the best of them so it’s nice that our D can sometimes play as the eraser.
- Cardinals are a decent team but we cannot start games like we did today. Hopefully it will be a successful learning tool because if not, It will be Same Ole Lions all over again.
Next stop, Monday Night football baby!!
Lets go!! 1-0